The Benefit of Having Car Insurance in Calgary
Having proper car insurance is an important part of driving in Calgary. Of course, it is against the law to drive without insurance. If you're caught, you can face severe fines and even jail time if you don't pay your fines on time. And multiple instances of being caught without insurance can snowball into much larger fines while making it more difficult to find affordable insurance in Calgary. There are many reasons it would be unwise NOT to purchase car insurance if you own a car.
The law isn't only protecting other drivers. It's also helping to protect you.
Here are a few great benefits to having car insurance in Calgary:
- You're in compliance with the law. You never have to worry about getting a ticket for lack of insurance or getting into trouble for not having insurance as long as you're covered and have valid proof of insurance with you.
- You're protected in the case of an accident. (Depending on the type of coverage you choose.) Car accidents can happen any time and you don't have to be at fault. After all, another driver might make a mistake that you have no control over and that can lead to damages. A good car insurance policy will help you repair your car or replace it so that you don't find yourself having to cover the costs on your own.
- You're protected in the case of an injury. Your medical insurance will likely cover a great deal of any medical costs. But you might need therapy or have costs related to an injury that your medical insurance doesn't cover. Your auto insurance can provide help in these cases.
- You're covered in the event of theft. (Depending on the type of coverage you choose.) What happens if someone steals your car? Car insurance can help you replace the car.
- You're covered in the event of damages from nature. (Depending on the type of coverage you choose.) A tree falls on your car or a flood causes major damage. It's no one's fault but it can be costly to repair. Your car insurance could cover this type of damage.
- Replacement vehicle while yours is being repaired. (Depending on the type of coverage you choose.) Some policies offer an allowance so that you can rent a car while your car is being repaired.
What Factors Affect the Cost to Find Affordable Car Insurance Calgary?
You'll notice that not all policies have the same premiums. There are a number of factors that can affect the cost of your car insurance rates. At BrokerLink, we go through our clients' individual information to make sure that they receive all of the possible savings offered for their circumstances.
Here are some factors that will impact your car insurance rates:
- Driving record. A good driving record can help you save money because insurance providers see you as a good risk. A bad driving record or a record of filing many claims can make your premiums go up significantly.
- Age. Young drivers do have a higher premium because they're in a demographic with more accidents. Often rates will continue to go down as you age, providing your driving record is good.
- Location. The area where you live impacts the premiums for your car. Calgary's rates are slightly higher than in other areas of Alberta, so your premium may be higher here than in other areas.
- The Type of Coverage. The amount of coverage you have on the vehicle will impact the premium.
- The Make and Model of the Car. Some cars are more costly to insure than others. There are many reasons for this. For example, some types of cars tend to be in more accidents or are more prone to theft.
- Safety and Security Features. Having a car with safety features that protect the driver or improve driving can lower your rates, as can features that protect your car from theft.
Mandatory Car Insurance in Calgary
As pointed out earlier, insurance is mandatory in Calgary. If you do let your insurance, you can face serious fines. Driving without insurance is not considered a criminal act, but the fines will add up and can negatively impact your driving record. Not paying your fines can result in a jail sentence.
Tips for New Drivers in Calgary
New drivers are often nervous. Like any skill, driving takes practice to fully master. If you have a new driver in your home, pay attention to safety features in your car and ask about them when you purchase a new car.
Your new driver will need a lot of practice behind the wheel. If their parent makes them nervous, it might be a good idea to have someone else drive with them to help them learn better. It's also an excellent idea to take drivers education courses. You might even have your young driver take the course a second time to provide them with more instruction and practice before they're on the road on their own.
FAQ about Car Insurance in Calgary
How much is car insurance in Calgary?
Calgary car insurance is slightly higher than in other areas of Alberta. Keep in mind, there are many factors that can impact rates: driving record, age, location, type of coverage, and your vehicle’s make and model.
Should I buy insurance before buying a car in Calgary?
Yes. You need car insurance before you can finalize the purchase of a car in Calgary.
More Ways to Find a Great Rate
Car Insurance Quotes by Province:
Car Insurance Quotes by City: