Personalized home insurance policies for Welland customers
Personalized Ontario home insurance is what you get with BrokerLink. We treat every customer with kindness and respect and take the time to understand their unique situation. When you enlist the help of a BrokerLink broker, you will feel heard and understood. Plus, you will walk away with a great insurance policy.
Comprehensive home insurance coverage in Welland
BrokerLink’s home insurance services are off the charts. We have helped thousands of customers in Ontario find the right policies for their properties. While we certainly have expertise in basic home insurance plans, we can also help our customers find more niche home insurance coverages, like high-value home insurance or vacation property & cottage insurance. No matter what type of home insurance you need, we will make sure you understand every facet of your policy. After all, what you’re paying for is coverage so it’s important that you know exactly how your policy covers you. Below is a list of standard home insurance coverage in Welland:
When your Welland property insurance policy features dwelling coverage, you can be compensated if the physical structure of your home is damaged by an insured peril. Property damage is expensive, whether it’s extensive or not. Luckily, dwelling coverage can help you avoid having to pay for the damage all on your own. Perils vary between policies but most plans offer coverage against the following risks:
- Car / aircraft impact
- Falling objects
Contents is another type of property insurance coverage that you are likely to find in your Welland home insurance plan. It protects the belongings inside your home from damage by an insured peril. This means that if a fire broke out in your home or you were the victim of a burglary, your insurance company might compensate you for the cost of replacing any items that were damaged or stolen. While contents insurance covers common household items, like clothes, furniture, and electronics, basic coverage may not be enough to cover high-value items like jewellery, artwork, musical instruments, or wine. Therefore, it’s important to speak with a broker before choosing your contents coverage limit, as you may need to choose a higher limit to account for more valuable items in your home. They may also suggest having expensive items listed as riders or floaters, allowing you more coverage on those particular items.
Personal liability coverage
Protect yourself from the cost of a lawsuit with personal liability coverage. Liability coverage is a key element of most insurance policies for a reason. It can protect you should a guest or visitor injure themselves on your property and decide to sue you. It can also cover you if you and your home cause damage to someone else’s personal property. With this type of coverage added to your policy, you won’t have to pay for the cost of a third party lawsuit all on your own. Instead, your insurer would help pay for legal defence fees, settlement fees if applicable, and even medical expenses or repair bills relating to any associated property damage or bodily injury.
Extra coverage that can be added to Welland home insurance plans
Sometimes basic coverage isn’t enough. BrokerLink knows that all too well, which is why we like to inform our customers about the other types of coverage available to them. While this list isn’t exhaustive, the following are some of the most popular coverages that are added to Welland home insurance plans. Note that these types of coverages are typically added as riders or endorsements and are on top of the standard dwelling, contents, and personal liability coverage listed above.
- Business coverage: Business coverage is meant for policyholders that work from home regularly or run a business out of their home. If this sounds like you, contact a broker about adding a business coverage endorsement to your home insurance policy or to learn about the perks of purchasing a completely separate commercial insurance policy for your business.
- Equipment breakdown coverage: If a piece of household equipment, like your washer, dryer, or oven breaking down is a worst-case scenario for you, then adding equipment breakdown coverage to your policy might be smart. This coverage can reimburse you for the cost of repairing or replacing a covered piece of equipment that breaks down due to a mechanical or electrical failure.
- Sewer backup coverage: Avoid having to pay for the cost of extensive water damage caused by a sewer backup with sewer backup coverage. In the event of such an incident, your insurer would step in and help pay for the cost of the necessary repairs to your home.
- Overland water coverage: Given Welland’s close proximity to several bodies of water, not to mention the fact that the region often receives snow in the winter, overland water coverage might be worthwhile. This type of coverage protects against flooding in your Welland home. More specifically, you can receive compensation if your home is flooded due to a nearby lake/river, overflow, heavy rain, or rapid snow melt.
Factors that may impact your Welland home insurance premium
A number of factors will come into play when an insurance agent calculates your home insurance premium. Some of these factors include:
- Your neighbourhood: An insurer will ask for your home address, which will help them determine your rate. They will consider factors like crime or high traffic to find out if your home is at a higher risk of being broken into.
- Proximity to a fire hydrant or fire station: If your home is located close to a water source, you could benefit from lower rates as your risk of fire might be lower or the damages could be less severe.
- The age and condition of your roof: Insurance companies generally prefer newer roofs that are 20 years old or less, as they are less likely to leak or have shingles pulled off in a windstorm.
- The heating system used in your home: Some types of heating systems are considered to be riskier than others, such as oil tanks or wood stoves. Comparatively, homes with gas furnaces or electric heat sources may have lower premiums.
- The electrical system in your home: Several factors come into play here, like whether your home has breakers or fuses and the type of wiring used in your home, e.g. knob and tube wiring may be more likely to cause fires.
- The plumbing system in your home: Older plumbing systems, especially if they feature lead or galvanized pipes, are more prone to problems like cracking or leaking. Hot water tanks that are replaced or maintained are less likely to develop leaks or cause issues in basements.
- Security system: Whether your home is equipped with a home security system will also be considered.
- Property structures/features: If there are other structures on the property, such as a shed, gazebo, detached garage, or swimming pool, your insurer will take them into account when calculating your rates.
- Replacement cost: Ultimately, the value and size of your home will be one of the biggest factors used to determine your rates. Included in that calculation will be the worth of your personal belongings inside the home as well.
How can I lower my Welland property insurance premium?
BrokerLink’s goal is to find great insurance at affordable prices for our Welland customers. That is why we are happy to provide you with tips on ways you can lower your Welland property insurance premium. From reviewing your coverage yearly to paying for your policy upfront, check out this list of broker-approved, money-saving tips on Welland insurance:
- Review your home insurance policy on a yearly basis to ensure it is still working for you. If it isn’t, adjust it as necessary, which could lead to a better rate.
- Talk to an insurance professional about the safety and cost benefits of installing a monitored alarm system in your Welland home.
- Buy multiple insurance products from one insurer through a process known as bundling. For example, bundling home and auto policies may result in savings of up to 15%.
- Increase your home insurance deductible by a few hundred or even a thousand dollars to instantly reduce your premium.
- Pay for your Welland property insurance plan upfront in one yearly installment.
- Consider several factors before buying a new home, such as whether it has a pool, is located near a fire hydrant or fire station, and the age and condition of its heating, electrical, and plumbing systems (homes with swimming pools and old systems may cost more to insure, while homes near water sources like fire hydrants may be cheaper to insure).
- Outfit your Welland home with a sewer backup prevention device to reduce your rates and mitigate the effects of water damage.
- Get in touch with an insurance broker to inquire about other possible home insurance discounts, such as non-smoker discounts or employment and education-based discounts.
We’re in your community
BrokerLink is dedicated to the Welland community. We have been serving our Ontario customers for over 30 years, providing them with superior insurance services day in and day out. We strive for excellence in everything we do and want the best for our customers. Learn more about BrokerLink’s core values by reaching out today.
Local Ontario Insurance Links
If you’re a member of a group or association, you may be eligible for more discounts.
At Welland BrokerLink, we’re here to help you with any insurance needs you may have. Whether it’s insuring your home, car, business, recreational items, or pets, let us help you find the best coverage possible.
You can reach us by phone, email, or in person at our Welland location, conveniently located on Thorold Road. No matter how you choose to get in touch, a BrokerLink insurance advisor will be happy to assist you. We also encourage you to take advantage of our free online quote tool that can provide you with a competitive quote in minutes.
Get a home insurance quote [phone]
Welland property insurance FAQs
What can a Welland insurance broker do for me?
A Welland insurance broker can walk you through the process of purchasing an insurance policy. They can do research on your behalf to find out which provider offers the best coverage at the lowest rate, and make recommendations as to the best plan for you and your home. Brokers are known for providing a stress-free experience to customers, which can be extremely beneficial given the complexities of insurance.
Do I need tenant insurance if I don’t own my apartment in Welland?
Yes, you may need to purchase tenant insurance even if you don’t own your apartment in Welland. Tenant insurance is uniquely designed for renters, to protect them from liability and protect their personal belongings from damage. These are areas that landlord insurance does not cover, which is what makes tenant insurance so important. Beyond the benefits it offers tenants, a landlord is within their rights to require tenant insurance of their renters, so you may be contractually obligated to purchase this type of home insurance according to your lease agreement. To learn more about tenant insurance, including some of the most common tenant insurance myths
, contact a broker today.
What perils should I include in my Welland property insurance policy?
It is wise for all home insurance policies in Welland to include protection against basic perils like theft, fire, wind, smoke, lightning, and more. However, there are a few additional perils that might be worth adding to your Welland home insurance coverage due to the geographical location of the city. Since Welland is located near Niagara Falls, sandwiched between two Great Lakes, Lake Ontario and Lake Erie, the area may be more flood-prone. As such, making sure your home insurance plan has ample flooding protection may be important. Examples of flooding protection that you can add to your policy include overland water coverage and sewer backup coverage.
Does my Welland property insurance policy cover valuable possessions like jewellery, vintage wine, or artwork?
Your Welland home insurance policy will likely cover the personal belongings in your home. However, the coverage will have its limits. Therefore, if your home contains lots of valuable items, you may need to purchase additional coverage through a high-value home insurance policy. Or if you have one or two high value items, you can schedule those on your policy as riders or floaters.
What home insurance coverage should I buy for my home in Welland?
The home insurance coverage that one person needs will not be the same as what another person needs. To determine what coverage is best, you will need to think carefully about the risks that your home faces, as well as any applicable insurance requirements (e.g. by your landlord, mortgage lender, or bank), and your budget, as policies with greater coverage often cost more. Talking with an insurance broker can help, as they can give insight into whether a standard policy featuring dwelling, contents, and personal liability coverage is enough, or a more comprehensive policy with equipment breakdown, business coverage, sewer backup coverage, etc. might be more worthwhile.
I want to renew my Welland home insurance policy. How does that work?
Renewing your Welland property insurance plan is easy, especially if you ask a broker for help. An insurance broker can help you navigate the process from start to finish, ensuring your policy is renewed before it expires, helping you avoid a lapse in coverage. In addition, a broker will be happy to offer an unbiased opinion on whether your policy is worth renewing or whether you might want to look elsewhere. They can do some research on your behalf to make sure that you are still getting the best coverage at the best rate with your current provider, or if there are better offers out there.
Do I need to buy Welland home insurance?
Nearly all Welland homeowners find home insurance to be worthwhile due to the protection and peace of mind it provides. That said, it may not be mandatory depending on your circumstances. You are likely only obligated to purchase home insurance if you bought your home with a mortgage and are still paying off that mortgage, or if you rent a home in Welland and your landlord told you that they require it.
How can I find affordable Welland home insurance?
Affordable home insurance in Welland can be found via an experienced insurance broker. They can shop around to ensure you get the best rate for your policy, as well as provide expert tips on how to reduce your home insurance premium, such as by installing a monitored alarm system on your property.
My car insurance policy has liability coverage. Do I also need it on my home insurance policy?
Yes, liability coverage is important for many types of insurance, from auto to home to business. While the third party liability coverage on your auto policy protects you from a lawsuit if you cause a car accident, liability coverage on home insurance can protect you if a guest visits your home and ends up injuring themselves on your property. For instance, if someone slips and falls on your front porch, you could be held liable and would be responsible for the damages. Personal liability for home insurance can also protect you if you or your home accidentally causes damage to another person’s property, such as a neighbouring home.
How can I reduce the risk of a fire in my home?
There is nothing more devastating than a house fire. It’s no wonder that many Welland residents want to do everything they can to mitigate the chances of one happening. Thankfully, there are several steps you can take to reduce the odds of a fire breaking out or to minimize the effects of one should it happen. A few tips you can follow to avoid a fire include installing smoke detectors throughout your home and remembering to change the batteries regularly, buying a fire extinguisher and having one easily accessible on each floor of your home, not plugging too many appliances into one outlet, regularly inspecting your furnace and chimney, and never pouring water on a grease fire.
What isn’t covered by Welland home insurance?
Many things may not be covered by your Welland home insurance policy. It all depends on the level and types of coverage you choose. A few situations or scenarios that are not typically covered by Welland property insurance plans include home sharing (e.g. renting your home out via platforms like Airbnb
or VRBO), vacant homes (those that are left empty for 30 days or more), neglect (a situation where the homeowner allows the property to fall into a state of disrepair), and renovations (damages that arise during a home update or renovation).
How do I get a quote on Welland home insurance?
Contact an insurance broker to request a free quote. Home insurance quotes can be obtained online, over the phone, or in person.
If you have any questions, contact one of our local branches.
More Ways to Find a Great Home Insurance Rate