Home Insurance in Ontario

The province of Ontario is an amazing place to live. This vast province is home to many different cities and towns. It will be perfect for you whether you prefer to live in a city or in a beautiful rural area. Urbanites tend to flock to the province’s larger cities including Toronto, London, Windsor and our country’s capital, Ottawa. However, many people prefer to live in more rural areas with lots of forestry, lakes and wonderful landscapes, such as Bancroft, Sault Ste. Marie and Holland Marsh.

This province is a multicultural haven; home to more than 14 million different people. The people who live here come from a wide array of backgrounds and represent many different cultures from around the world. Ontario is a cultural centre offering many diverse opportunities for both employment and lifestyle.

Wherever you’ve chosen to live, BrokerLink is here to help you protect your property with the right home insurance in Ontario. We want to find you the best insurance coverage for your home and its contents at the best possible rate. The right home insurance will give you peace of mind no matter which part of Ontario you live in.

Get competitive insurance quotes in 5 minutes.

Life is unpredictable. Make sure your insurance isn't.

Standard Home Insurance in Ontario

Unlike car insurance, having a home insurance policy is not mandatory in Ontario. However, if you have a mortgage on your home, most lenders will require you to have home insurance. Even if you are mortgage-free, it is a good idea to have a standard home insurance policy in order to protect your home and everything inside it.

The exact details of your home insurance coverage in Ontario will differ depending on the amount of coverage you select. Here are a few of the most standard coverage options that may be right for you and your home:


This insurance covers the physical building and structure that you live in – that means your physical home itself. If your house ends up being damaged by one of the following, you may be protected under your dwelling coverage:

  • Fire
  • Lightning
  • Smoke
  • Theft
  • Wind
  • Car / aircraft impact
  • Explosion
  • Falling objects

Every policy is different, so make sure you talk to your broker to find out exactly what’s covered under your plan.


This covers your belongings inside your home. Things including your furniture, clothing, electronics, jewellery and sporting equipment could all be covered in the event of loss or damage.

Personal liability

If someone is injured on your property, you might be responsible for the associated legal and medical costs. It might seem really unlikely, but if it does happen, the costs could add up quickly. This part of your policy can kick in to help cover any of these costs. Personal liability also can cover you in the event of damages to neighbouring houses caused by your house or property.

If you would like to learn more about the different types of home insurance coverage, a great resource is the Financial Services Commission of Ontario website. They break down all the different types of coverage, and explain everything in more detail.

What is not covered under a standard home insurance policy?

When you purchase a home insurance policy in Ontario, there are specific things that will not be covered. If you break the rules of your policy, it can become void. The following three things are not covered under a standard home insurance policy:

Home sharing

Many people earn extra income through short term rentals like Airbnb or HomeAway. It’s sometimes referred to as home sharing. It’s important to tell your insurance broker if you’re a host on Airbnb or any other platform. If you don’t disclose this information and damage occurs to your property, your policy may be considered void.

Vacant home

If your home is empty for a long period of time, your home insurance coverage may become void. Most policies will not allow a property to be vacant for more than one month. If you are planning on taking an extended vacation, make sure you talk to your insurance broker first to make your home still has the coverage you need.

Failing to maintain

If you neglect the maintenance of your home and allow it to fall into a state of disrepair, you may not be covered. For example, if your roof is missing shingles and you incur water damage as a result, your insurance company might decide that you will not be covered for that incident.

Additional coverage options for your home insurance policy

If you decide you need more coverage than a standard policy offers, there are additional coverage options you can add on to your policy. These are also sometimes known as riders or endorsements. Below are some of the most common endorsements.

Business Coverage

If you run your own business out of your home, you will require this additional coverage. This is because a standard home insurance policy will not cover you for business reasons. If you do not have business coverage, and there is damage to your house as a result of your business operations, you may not be covered.

Equipment Breakdown

This type of additional coverage applies when you have a sudden and/or unexpected failure to equipment in your home. Some things that might be covered under this endorsement include:

  • Air conditioning unit
  • Furnace or other heating system
  • Security system
  • Kitchen appliances

Sewer backup

A sewer backup is every homeowner’s nightmare. If this isn’t included in your policy, you might want to consider adding it on. A sewer backup can cause a lot of damage and the costs can add up quickly.

Talk to a BrokerLink expert to get the home insurance that fits your needs

If you’re not sure what the best home insurance policy is for you, don’t despair. Our brokers are licensed insurance experts. We will take the time to understand your specific situation and what you need covered. We will create a plan that’s tailored just for you. That way, you’ll have peace of mind knowing your home and its contents are protected.

Call BrokerLink now for your home insurance needs in Ontario

We are proud to have community branches across Ontario. To find a home insurance plan that’s right for you, visit one of our branches, or reach us by phone or email. You can also complete a quote in five minutes online, and we’ll call you at your convenience.

FAQs on home insurance in Ontario

It’s my first time owning a house. What type of insurance should I get?

Whether it’s your first time owning a house or fifth doesn’t impact the type of insurance you have. What’s more important is the type of home, how old it is, the value of it and where you live. Talking to an insurance broker can help you determine the exact type of coverage you need.

Can I bundle home insurance with auto insurance?

Yes! Not only can you bundle home and auto insurance in Ontario, you can also save money doing so. You can save up to 15% on each policy. Talk to an insurance broker to see what kind of savings you might be eligible for by bundling.

I have a vacation home in another city in Ontario. Can I insure that home too even if I don’t always live there?

Yes, you can insure your vacation home. BrokerLink can help you find the right insurance plan for your main residence and your home away from home.

More Ways to Find a Great Rate

Home Insurance Quotes by Province:
Home Insurance Quotes by City:


Ontario Car Insurance

Why buy car insurance in Ontario? There are lots of benefits to having car insurance. Ontario dri...

Condo Insurance in Ontario

It doesn’t matter if you live in Sarnia, Sault Ste. Marie, Parry Sound, Gatineau, Brantford, O...

Boat Insurance in Ontario

Even if you don’t have a cottage of your own, there are plenty of great places to rent for the...