Notice to Intact Insurance, Jevco Insurance and Novex Insurance personal auto customers: You can save 15% on average, for three months if you are driving less due to COVID-19. Complete this online form by June 30. If you are no longer driving and have temporarily stored your vehicle, you can save on average 75% per month on auto premium. Contact your local branch for details.

We're open for business with most of our employees working remotely. Please continue to reach us by phone or email - by contacting your local branch. Please visit our COVID-19 page for the most recent updates.

Am I covered if? Frequently Asked Auto Coverage Questions

Mar 24, 2015 1 minute read

Recently, we answered some of the most common Home Insurance questions we receive with the help of Personal Lines Team Lead Adam. We asked him if he would share with us some of the most commonly asked car insurance questions.

Q: Am I covered if I lend my vehicle to my neighbour or friend?

A: Yes. When you lend your car, you lend your insurance too. In the event of a loss or incident your auto insurance policy will cover any damage. However, if you are deemed at fault in the incident, your policy premium could be affected by the claim for up to six years. Before you lend your vehicle to another driver, consider these important details.

Q: Am I covered by my policy for a rental car?

A: Yes. In most cases your current auto policy will automatically extend accident benefits and third party liability coverage to a rental car. Physical damage to the rental vehicle can also be covered if you have the same coverage on your current auto policy. Check out these additional details of rental vehicle coverage.

Q: Am I covered if items are stolen from my car?

A: No. Your auto policy only covers your car not the possessions you keep in it. In order to have coverage for theft of items left in your car you need to have adequate coverage through your home, condo or tenants insurance. If you’re not sure you have the right coverage in place, contact your local BrokerLink broker for a free policy review.

Q: Am I covered if I hit an animal on the highway?

A: Yes – if your auto policy includes comprehensive coverage. Comprehensive auto coverage provides additional protection for your vehicle including break-ins, flood and water damage, fire and falling objects. Comprehensive coverage is not mandatory to include in your insurance, however if you are driving a leased or financed vehicle you may be required to purchase it.

It’s important to ensure you have the right auto coverage for you and any other drivers for your vehicle. If you’re unsure about any of the terms of your policy we recommend looking at our Insurance 101: Policy Basics and Insurance 102: Policy Specifics blogs. They can help to clarify your policy and coverage. As always, your BrokerLink broker is also available to answer any question you may have.