How to register and insure your car in Alberta

2 minute read Published on Jun 18, 2019 by BrokerLink Communications

How to register and insure your car in Alberta

Before starting, consider speaking with a BrokerLink broker. We can help guide you through the process and find the right insurance coverage at the best possible price by doing comparison shopping for you.

Want to know how a BrokerLink insurance broker can help find you an affordable car insurance quote? Check out our quote tool to get an instant quote.

Step #1: Get a “Request for Vehicle Inspection” Form

Before you can register or insure your vehicle in Alberta, your vehicle will need to pass an out-of-province vehicle inspection.

To do this, you will need to go to an Alberta Registry office and purchase a “Request for Vehicle Inspection” form. To get this form, you will need to bring proof of vehicle ownership and your existing registration papers.

Step #2: Obtain an Alberta Driver’s Licence.

While you are at the registry office, you can exchange your existing license for an Alberta Driver’s License.  To do this, you will need to bring the following documents to an Alberta registry office:

  1. Your current driver’s license from your previous province.
  2. One additional piece of valid identification that proves you are legal to live in Canada (e.g. birth certificate, passport, or Canadian Citizenship Certificate.)
  3. One document that proves you are now an Alberta resident. This must include your full legal name, current Alberta address, and be dated within the last 90 days (e.g. utility bill, bank statement, letter from employer).

Step #3: Go for an out-of-province vehicle inspection.

  1. Take your “Request for Vehicle Inspection” form to a licensed vehicle inspection facility (most automotive repair facilities, dealerships are licensed).
  2. Any recommended repairs uncovered in the inspection must be completed before your vehicle will be passed.
  3. Once the inspection is done, the technician will give you the Out-of-Province Vehicle Inspection Certificate. This certificate is valid for 14 days from the date shown under ‘Date of Completion’.

Step #4: Get Alberta auto insurance.

Unlike several other Canadian provinces, auto insurance in Alberta is privatized. At BrokerLink, our brokers work with you to determine what coverage you need so you’ll know you're getting the best insurance coverage at the best price possible.

When switching insurance, you will need copies of the following documents:

  1. Your driving record.
  2. Your insurance coverage history/claims experience letter.

Depending on what province you are moving from, the process of obtaining this documentation varies. Your BrokerLink broker can help you through this process. If your vehicle is on a lease, make sure to contact your lessor to advise them of your new address and contact information.

Step #5: Register your vehicle & get your licence plate

After getting Alberta car insurance, you then have to register your vehicle at an Alberta registry. Before going to the registry, you will need the following:

  1. Proof of valid Alberta auto insurance (commonly referred to as a "pink card").
  2. Bill of sale or current registration of vehicle.
  3. Out-of-province inspection certificate.

The registry agent will process your information and give you an Alberta license plate as well as registration documents for your vehicle.