Moving provinces and insurance

3 minute read Published on May 9, 2017 by BrokerLink Communications

Moving provinces and insurance

There are many factors to consider when it comes to moving, such as renting a moving truck and getting packing boxes ready. Insurance is another factor to consider. In addition to protecting belongings from being damaged, moving to another province also means – amongst other things – getting a new address and licence plate number, which directly ties into insurance. Here are five tips to help make moving to another province seamless.

Top five insurance-related tips for moving to another province

1. Get claims experience letter(s)

A claims experience letter is a letter from an insurance provider which details a person’s insurance history. Because a person is unlikely to have an insurance record in their new home province (i.e. home and car insurance) a claims experience letter is necessary. Having the letter ready for the insurance provider in the new province allows for a quick-and-easy transition.
Receiving a claims experience letter usually takes one week. A& BrokerLink broker can request the letter on the customer’s behalf or the person can directly contact their insurance provider.

2. Keep current insurance active until the move is complete

Whether its business or home insurance, it’s important to keep an insurance policy active until insurance coverage (i.e. for a home or car) has been finalized in the new home province. If insurance coverage is cancelled prior to new coverage being established, any damages which occur will not be covered. For example, if a person’s home caught fire prior to moving, and they cancelled their home insurance, they would have to pay out-of-pocket for damages.

When the insurance in a person’s new home province has been established, it’s important to contact a BrokerLink broker to update the policy and cancel any existing coverage.

3. Understand insurance premiums vary from province to province

Even though a person may choose to stay with the same insurance provider, the insurance premium may not be the same in the new home province. For example, if a person is moving to an area where there is a high flood risk, their home insurance premium could be higher. It’s important for a person to research insurance premiums in their new home province or contact their existing insurance provider to see if they operate in the area where they’re moving.

4. Check the insurance of a moving company

If a moving company has been hired for the move, it’s important to ask for proof of their insurance. This will determine if a person’s belongings are covered should there be any damage during the move. It’s also beneficial to check if a mover has replacement value protection, which ensures the company replaces belongings which are damaged or lost during the move.

In addition, personal vehicles are often used for a move to another province. If this is the case, it’s important the car and personal belongings are insured. This will help cover costs which could result if the car or personal belongings are damaged during the move. A BrokerLink broker can help assess a person’s current auto insurance and advise on the best coverage for personal belongings.

5. Check if a home or tenant’s insurance policy for storage coverage

If someone is planning to move to another province, a home or tenant’s insurance policy may provide storage unit insurance to place belongings in temporary storage. Depending on the policy, the coverage could be up to 90 days. If a person puts their belongings in a storage unit but does not have coverage, they will not receive financial compensation if their items are damaged or stolen. A BrokerLink broker can provide guidance about if someone’s current home or tenant insurance policy provides this coverage.

Before taking flight or hitting the road: contact a broker

To ensure all insurance details are taken care of before moving to another province, it’s important to contact a BrokerLink broker. While they may not be there for the packing process, their expert advice is like the bubble wrap for breakable objects – it protects what is important for our customers.