Taking a motorcycle ride is a great summer activity, made even better when shared with a group of friends. Before you take a ride make sure you follow these tips to ensure your group stays safe on the road:
- Before you embark on your road trip, make sure you have a map of the route as well as contact information for members of the group. This is also a good time to inspect your bike and to make sure you have a full tank of gas.
- Schedule regular breaks throughout the trip to fill up on gas, grab a bite to eat and use the restroom. Let everyone in your group know to meet at the next scheduled stop if they get lost.
- When on the road, you should have your most experienced riders take the front and back positions of the group. This will help less experienced riders keep pace with the rest of the group and also provide assistance if needed.
- Stagger riders instead of riding side by side. This will ensure there is enough space between you and the person in front of you, while still ensuring everyone is in proximity to one another. When entering or exiting the highway be sure to ride single file.
- There may be times when you need to pass other vehicles. Discuss a plan of action with your group beforehand. Only one member should pass a vehicle at a time, starting with the leader until all members of the group have passed.
Although you may only be able to ride your motorcycle for part of the year, it’s important to make sure it is insured at all times. This ensures you will have adequate coverage while riding your motorcycle and also when it is in storage. Comprehensive coverage on your policy can cover vandalism, theft, or potential damage from weather-related storms.
Your BrokerLink broker can help you find the right coverage for your needs whether you’re a new or seasoned rider. Coverage can be based on the make and model of your motorcycle, how you use it, the number of years you’ve been insured and your driving and claims record. Also, ask about how you can insure your motorcycle accessories. Proper coverage will provide you with peace of mind so you can sit back and enjoy the ride.