Car insurance Canada: 20 questions answered

8 minute read Published on Feb 20, 2023 by BrokerLink Communications

Car insurance Canada: 20 questions answered

Car insurance can be very complex however, our experts at BrokerLink have compiled answers to the top 20 questions asked about this popular subject.

1. What type of car insurance do I need?

All drivers in Canada are required to have both accident benefits coverage and third-party liability coverage. Accident benefits coverage provides protection for medical treatment and lost income to help if you are injured in an accident. If you are the at-fault driver, third party liability covers damages caused to the other driver, their vehicle, or their property, as well as any legal costs associated with a lawsuit.

Drivers can also choose to purchase additional coverage, including:

  • Comprehensive coverage – provides additional protection for your vehicle against damage including break-ins, flood and water damage, fire, vandalism and falling objects. If you are driving a leased or financed car, you may be required to purchase this coverage to protect the car owner or lender’s investment.
  • Collision coverage – pays for damage to your vehicle caused by a collision with another vehicle, object (such as a tree, guard rail or debris) or by an upset (such as a roll over). If you are driving a leased or financed vehicle, you may be required to purchase this coverage to protect the car owner or lender’s investment.
  • All perils coverage – combines collision, comprehensive and glass coverage. All are subject to the same deductible.
  • Accident Forgiveness, which can be added to your car insurance policy as an endorsement, to protect your driving record and to help prevent your insurance premium from increasing if you have an at-fault accident claim.

2. Am I covered if I am the victim of a hit-and-run?

If the driver of the vehicle who hit your car cannot be identified, your claim will be paid out under the collision portion of your auto insurance policy and subject to your deductible (depending on your provider). However, if your auto policy does not have collision coverage, you may have to pay for the damages out of pocket.

If the driver who hit your car can be identified, report the incident to the police (in Alberta if damage is greater than $2,000) or a collision reporting centre (in Ontario if damage is greater than $2,000) as well as your insurance company as soon as possible. If the driver has insurance, the loss will be paid out of their insurance policy.

Rest assured your insurance rates will not increase due to the hit and run, if you report the incident to the police or collision-reporting center and your insurance company.

Read additional tips about what to do if you are involved in a hit and run accident.

3. What if I witness a hit-and-run accident?

After witnessing a hit-and-run accident:

  • Assess the scene of the incident. If there are injuries or damage, call 9-1-1 immediately to report the incident.
  • Ensure your own safety before approaching the scene. Remember, collision scenes can pose a danger due to leaking fluids and combustibles.
  • Do not attempt to assist or move anyone injured at the scene of an accident. It is best to wait until paramedics have arrived for the safety of everyone.

Once the police arrive, you’ll be asked to complete a witness statement.

If you witness a hit and run accident to an unattended car, leave a note if you can’t find the driver. Provide your contact information and details of the incident and place in a visible location, such as under the windshield wipers.

4. What should I do if I hit a parked car?

Always attempt to locate the owner of the vehicle. If the driver cannot be found, you are obligated by law to leave written notice of the accident. Your note should be placed in a visible location on the car (usually under the windshield wiper) and should include your:

  • Full name and address,
  • Driver’s license number, and
  • License plate information

5. What if I leave the scene of a hit-and-run accident?

Hitting a parked car then leaving the scene of the accident has serious consequences. Depending on the situation, police can charge the driver of the hit-and-run under the Criminal Code of Canada for “Failure to Stop at the Scene of the Accident” or “Failure to Remain at the Scene of the Accident” under the Highway Traffic Act. Penalties can include traffic tickets, fines, demerit points, license suspension, imprisonment, and an increase in car insurance rates. Remember, all accidents must be reported to your insurance company regardless of fault and the damage amount.

6. Should I ever admit responsibility if I am in a car accident?

No. Your insurance company reserves the right to defend you following an insured loss. You should never admit fault in an accident until your insurer can review the file and determine how they would like to proceed. Download, our helpful accident checklist and store it in your glove box so you can access it if needed.

7. If I settle a fender bender out of pocket will it affect my insurance?

Possibly. Even if you choose to settle damage with a third party without involving your insurance company, the third party has up to a year (from the date of loss) to file an insurance claim for damages to their vehicle, and up to two years for any injuries that may have occurred. If they file their claim before the deadline, their insurance company will notify your insurance company and your premiums could still be impacted. Talk to your BrokerLink broker about your situation.

8. Will my first accident affect my premium?

Not necessarily. Several insurance providers offer first-time claim protection or accident forgiveness coverage as an add-on to your policy. Speak to your BrokerLink broker about your options.

9. Am I covered if items are stolen from my car?

No. Your auto policy covers only your car, not the possessions you keep in it. In order to have coverage for theft of items inside your car, you need to have adequate coverage through your home, condo or tenants insurance. If you are not sure you have the right coverage in place, contact your local BrokerLink broker for a free policy review.

10. Am I covered if I hit an animal on the highway?

Yes – if your auto policy includes comprehensive or all perils coverage.

11. How do I know if my car has coverage for hail damage?

Whether or not your vehicle is insured for hail damage depends on the type of policy you hold. If you only have liability insurance, you will not be insured for any hail damage. Comprehensive or all perils policies can cover hail damage to your vehicle. However, you will always be required to pay your deductible.

12. Does leasing or buying a vehicle affect my insurance?

No. Leasing or buying a vehicle does not change how much you pay for insurance. For leased vehicles, full comprehensive and collision coverage is required, and we recommend it even if you own a vehicle too.

13. Does my policy provide a rental car if needed

If you have an endorsement added to your policy, in the event of an insurable loss, such as a collision, hail, fire, theft or additional upset, you will be provided a rental car for use while your vehicle is not drivable and while repairs are being completed. This endorsement has a maximum amount payable. In Ontario, the endorsement is an SEF 20, and there are similar endorsements in Alberta New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. Contact your broker concerning the limit of coverage you need.

In most cases your current auto policy will extend accident benefits and third-party liability coverage to a rental car. However, physical damage or a loss to the rental vehicle is not covered with basic insurance, but can be covered if you have comprehensive, collision or all perils coverage on your current auto policy, with certain exceptions. Depending on the situation you may need an additional coverage endorsement on your policy.

Certain insurance providers have limits on the endorsements mentioned. Talk to your BrokerLink broker to confirm which of the extra endorsements you have or need for complete coverage.

14. Does carpooling affect my insurance?

Increasing the number of regular passengers in your vehicle can increase the likelihood of an injury and liability claim in the event of a collision. As the driver of a carpool, all passengers in the vehicle are granted coverage under your policy, whether they have their own coverage or not. The type of car-pooling arrangement in place can impact your premium.

If you plan on having a higher number of passengers in your vehicle, consider a higher level of liability insurance, for example, at least $2,000,000 in liability insurance to protect yourself and your passengers.

15. Am I covered if I lend my vehicle to a friend?

Yes, however, when you lend your car, you lend your insurance too. In the event of a loss or incident your auto insurance policy will cover any damage. However, if you are deemed at fault in the incident, your policy premium could be affected by the claim for up to six years.

16. Can I be rewarded for good driving behaviour with a discount on my insurance?

Yes. Several insurance companies offer a Usage-based insurance (UBI) program, also known as telematics. UBI programs allow insurance providers to offer premium discounts for safe driving habits. Simply for continuous use of the app.

Usage based insurance typically monitors:

  • Rate of acceleration.
  • Hard braking.
  • Time of day.
  • Texting and driving.

myDrive by Intact Insurance is an example of a popular UBI program.

17. Does my age and gender affect my insurance premium?

Yes. Insurance costs are based on several driver and vehicle factors.

Driver factors:

  • driving record, including speeding convictions or tickets and claims
  • experience – number of years licenced
  • number of previous insurance collision claims
  • vehicle use – daily and yearly mileage and business use
  • Age, (this is a myth), gender – it’s not uncommon for males to pay a higher price than females

Vehicle factors:

  • Year, make and model of vehicle
  • Location (postal code)
  • Automatic braking or reactive braking systems
  • If this type of vehicle is frequently stolen
  • If the vehicle is a popular model on the road
  • Any modifications to the car, affecting the drivability
  • Crash safety ratings

18. How can I save money on my car insurance?

Increasing your deductible, bundling your policies, participating in a UBI program and being a professional association or group member are just a few of the ways you could save on your car insurance premium. The best way to keep your premiums from increasing is by being a safe driver. More ways to save on car insurance.

19. Does taking driver’s education qualify me for insurance discounts?

Yes. New drivers that complete a government approved driver’s education course successfully helps drivers save on their car insurance, with a drivers training certificate discount. Companies value the safe driving habits taught during driver’s education classes and will reward you with a discount.. Remedial driver education courses to restore points are not considered for discount purposes.

20. Do speeding and traffic tickets affect my insurance?

Yes. Any time you are convicted of a traffic violation, it will remain on your driving record for three years. This includes minor offences such as speeding tickets or major offences such as reckless driving or driving under the influence.

Contact BrokerLink for a quote today!

At BrokerLink, we’re here to help insure your vehicles, home, business, recreational items, or pets with the best coverage possible. You may reach us by phone, email, or in person at any one of our convenient locations. No matter how you choose to get in touch, a BrokerLink insurance advisor will be happy to assist you.

You may also use our free online quote tool and get a competitive quote in a few minutes!

Get an auto insurance quote [phone]