Guide to Cottage Insurance

3 minute read Published on May 20, 2021 by BrokerLink Communications

Guide to Cottage Insurance

Your cottage is your home away from home - a place to relax and recharge! This is the space where you can spend quality time with friends and family or escape for a little “me time”. Rain or shine, your cottage is your sanctuary and it needs proper insurance coverage in the event of an unforeseen situation.

Whether you call it a vacation home, a cottage, cabin, chalet, lodge, shack or shanty, we’re here to help you learn how to get the right insurance coverage! Keep scrolling to learn about the cottage insurance options available to you, based on your needs.

Seasonal Cottage Insurance Policy

Do you use your cottage for only part of the year? Seasonal cottage coverage may be just what you need.

Seasonal property insurance can cover the replacement and repair costs of your cottage, as well as items inside the building. Your property and contents can be covered if any of the following occur:

  • Wind and hail
  • Fire and lightning
  • Water and freezing
  • Theft
  • Non-theft property damage, such as vandalism
  • Liability (injuries sustained on the property)

Keep in mind, your home insurance policy generally covers all risks, whereas your cottage insurance policy may only cover certain risks. Check with your insurance advisor to ensure you have the correct coverage for your cottage property.

Liability Insurance

Liability insurance provides coverage for claims that arise in the event that someone is accidentally injured or causes damage to your cottage property.

If you rent your property out, it’s recommended that you increase your liability coverage. Renters pose additional risks for injury and damage at your property. For example, tenants, guests or neighbours could damage your septic system or be injured on the property and decide to sue.

And, remember to add insurance coverage for your toys and treasures, such as ATVs, boats and watercraft, so you can enjoy the summer worry-free.

Boat and Watercraft Insurance

If you are just as at home on the water as you are in the cottage, you will want boat specific insurance coverage for your boat or watercraft, in the event of an accident or incident, for example:

  • Your boat, it’s motor(s), boating equipment or accessories are damaged due to:
    • Collision
    • Theft
    • Vandalism
  • You or your passengers’ items or gear onboard are damaged or stolen.
  • Injury or damage to another person’s property or boat while operating your boat or another watercraft you have permission to use.

Quick tips about cottage insurance

Safe heating practices

You may heat your vacation home differently from your primary residence. Here are some tips to keep you and your cottage safe:

  • Gas and wood-burning fireplace:
    • Only burn dry, seasoned firewood, as wet wood can lead to creosote buildup that can cause chimney fires. Refrain from using lumber, painted wood, or treated wood, which can release chemicals into your home.
  • Woodstoves
    • Clean your woodstove well before using it and ensure there is a fire extinguisher nearby. When you’re ready to dispose of the ashes, make sure you do so safely in a metal container.

How to save on Cottage Insurance

Bundle + Save! Add your cottage to your policy and save with our Bundle + Save Program! Let BrokerLink help protect the things you care about with all your policies in one place.

Get our cottage insurance from BrokerLink

BrokerLink insurance advisors take the time to get to know you so they can provide insurance solutions that meet your unique needs. In addition, you get something that’s hard to put a price on: peace of mind.


Cottage Insurance FAQs

Are my outbuildings, such as a dock, garage or boathouse covered by my cottage insurance?

Depending on your insurance, you may be covered for buildings and structures on your property. It’s important to contact your insurance advisor to ensure you have the coverage you need, and that there are no gaps, as no one likes surprises when it comes to insurance during a disaster.

Am I covered if I rent out my cottage under a standard policy?

If you are renting out your cottage, it’s in your best interest to let your insurance advisor know. You may want to increase your coverage, specifically liability, in the event of an accident involving your tenants and their guests on your property. Your insurance advisor will be able to provide advice with regard to the essential coverage required when renting out your cottage.

Does my policy include the replacement cost or the Actual Cash Value of the building(s)?

This depends on the coverage you’ve selected for your cottage. If you only use your property seasonally, your coverage may be different than if you use it yearlong. Reach out to your insurance advisor to make sure you have this coverage on your policy. Also, speak to your advisor about any upgrades or added features to your cottage to ensure you have the appropriate level coverage to reflect your property.