Ask a Broker: Vehicle Coverage

1 minute read Published on Jun 2, 2014 by BrokerLink Communications

Who can drive my car and who is covered?

If you let another person drive your vehicle, they will be covered under your car insurance policy; however, there are a few important details to clarify.

“You are free to lend your vehicle to whom you see fit and they would be covered by your insurance policy. It would be your responsibility to confirm they are qualified to drive, it is not a routine occurrence and they are using it solely for personal use,” advises Omar Assaf, BrokerLink broker.

“As well, consent is typically implied, which means you must give explicit notice to anyone who you would not like to drive your vehicle. We also recommend you give your broker a call and advise if there may be an instance where this can occur.”

Minor instances where someone may need to move your vehicle, such as a passenger in a parked car, are generally covered by implied consent and no action is required by you to ensure they have coverage. This also applies to family and friends who may be visiting for a short period.

In addition, the person borrowing your vehicle must be a licensed driver in their own home province, state or country. “The driver must carry a valid license when driving your car,” adds Omar. Also, when allowing someone to borrow your car, you have a legal obligation to make sure they are not impaired. Not only do you want to ensure the safety of the borrower, but also those sharing the road with them. You could be personally liable for damages if the person driving your car is impaired.

As Omar points out, “it’s important to understand your policy and what coverage you have.” If you have any questions about your insurance, contact your BrokerLink broker to learn out more. “As a broker, it’s our job to help you find the best policy to fit your needs.”