Equine Insurance

At BrokerLink, we have decades of experience providing insurance solutions to equine owners, stable owners, breeders, and trainers. We understand your horse is priceless. That’s why we’re committed to protecting the things that matter to you the most. Talk to a BrokerLink advisor to ensure you have the coverage you need for all things equine.


What is equine insurance?

Whether for business or pleasure, you should consider equine insurance if you’re a hobby owner, breeder, trainer, farmer or riding instructor. Equine insurance covers you for losses that include horse-related illness, accidents, and death. It can also cover medical costs, theft of equipment and liability.

Common types of equine insurance coverage

Making the decision to own a horse requires a significant investment of time and money. This includes having to ensure you have proper shelter, food, supplies and equipment to properly care for the horse. At BrokerLink, our equine insurance experts will work with you to understand your needs as an equine owner. Our brokers will take the time to create a policy with coverages that fit your lifestyle. Detailed below are some coverages to discuss with your broker.

Equine Mortality Insurance

Coverage for the death of your horse due to an accident, illness or injury. Other coverage options to consider:

  • There may be an age limit to your coverage
  • Post-mortem and euthanasia

Major Medical Insurance

Covers major medical and surgical costs for specific disorders outlined in your policy. They may include colic treatment, tendon injury or laceration. Consult your broker about any limits to diagnosis or treatments that are listed on your policy.

Liability Insurance

Coverage for accidental bodily injury or property damage to a third-party caused by one or more of your horses. Additional liability coverage can be purchased for grooms and stable hands who work with horses either in the barn or while at a competition.


If you’re involved with the custody or control of non-owned horses, you may be held liable for injuries or damage suffered by those animals while under your care. Speak to a broker about the coverages available to you in this situation.

Other coverage options for equine insurance

Tack and equipment coverage

Coverage for loss of equipment or saddlery due to fire or theft (if equipment is locked).

Trailer coverage (physical damage)

Coverage for loss caused by fire, theft, collision, or overturned vehicle.

Trailer coverage (contents)

Coverage for loss or damage to the contents inside your horse trailer.

Agreed value guaranteed renewal coverage

If your horse dies within the first 24 months of life, this coverage will cover the purchase price of the horse.

Air-ground transit insurance

Coverage for transporting your horse, including to shows or for breeding purposes. This may include if your horse goes berserk while travelling by air.


Usually a lump sum coverage if your horse is totally and permanently disabled.

Stallion infertility

Usually a lump sum coverage if your horse becomes impotent or infertile.

Optional perils

The below optional perils could be added to your coverage, depending on what is offered by your insurance company:

  • Drowning
  • Attack by wild animals
  • Theft, not resulting in death
  • Building collapse
  • Accidental shooting by a third-party

Consult your broker for more coverage details and to ensure you have the coverage you need for your equine operations.

Get expert advice on your horse insurance needs

Horses are your passion. They’re an emotional investment as much as they are of time and money. For insurance that protects yourself, your property and your horses and facilities, speak to a BrokerLink Equine expert who understands what is required to care for a horse.


Equine Insurance FAQs

How soon can I claim on horse insurance?

There is typically no waiting period to present a claim once a policy is bound and issued. It is always best to consult your broker when it comes to understanding the full details of your insurance policy and its limitations.

Do I need to have a vet certificate to insure a horse?

Typically, a veterinary certificate is required if you’re getting full mortality coverage. However, a veterinary certificate may also depend on the requirements of your insurance company, and the value and health of your horse. Contact your insurance advisor to learn more about what documents are needed when insuring your horse.

Can you insure an old horse?

Each insurance company has its qualifications and guidelines for offering full mortality coverage. You may be able to acquire limited perils coverage for over-age horses, which would protect from losses like fire, transportation accidents and theft. Speak to your insurance advisor about the options available through your insurance provider.

Farm Insurance

Make farm insurance one less thing to worry about. BrokerLink’s Farm Insurance Program is d...