Registered Social Workers of Alberta Insurance Program

BrokerLink is proud to partner with Registered Social Workers of Alberta (RSWA). BrokerLink has created an exclusive Professional Liability Insurance program for RSWA members. RSWA and BrokerLink have worked closely to develop comprehensive and affordable insurance solutions exclusively available to members of the RSWA.

Keep reading to learn more about the coverage available to you. You can also call us to chat or visit one of our community branches.

Coverage notice

Please note that the RSWA liability plan runs from May 1 and renews May 1 of the following year. Premiums will not be pro-rated for late attendees. Half-term applications are available for new applicants starting on Nov 1, through until May 1.

Program highlights

This program has been custom made for RSWA members. Here are just a few things included in the coverage:

  • Professional liability
  • Abuse coverage
  • Option for general liability and property coverage
  • Libel and slander coverage
  • Legal assistance hotline


Here are a few of the most frequently asked questions we hear from RSWA members:

What is professional liability insurance and why do I need it?

Professional liability insurance protects you in the event a third party (such as a client) makes a claim of negligence against you or your practice. This coverage can cover your legal defence costs and damages awarded to a third party.

What is the difference between professional liability insurance and commercial general liability insurance?

As mentioned above, professional liability insurance covers you from negligently rendering or failing to render professional service. CGL insurance can protect you from non-professional exposures. For example, if a client slips and falls on your premises and decides to sue you, your CGL coverage would kick in. CGL is designed to work with and not duplicate coverage from professional liability insurance.

Does the RSWA require proof of commercial general liability (CGL) insurance?

Although not officially an association requirement, the liability insurance program is offered as a level of protection to RSWA members. Members operating independent facilities/offices need CGL protection to expand the capacity of their liability protection. Members operating from a home office should consult with their home insurance provider if CGL coverage is extended to their social work practice.

Am I covered anywhere in the world?

Only wrongful acts committed in Canada and suits brought in Canada and the United States are covered.

When can I stop carrying professional liability insurance?

Your professional liability insurance policy is issued on a “claims made and reported” basis. This means that the policy in place at the time the claim is reported is the policy that will respond.

If you are planning to retire and will no longer be practicing, it is recommended you protect yourself against future claims by purchasing extended reporting period coverage. This can be done by contacting your broker. They can extend your policy for the desired length of time in order to provide coverage for future claims arising from prior incidents and exposures that occurred during your past occupational therapy practice.

What do I do in the event of a claim?

In the event of a claim, it’s important to report it as soon as possible. Prompt claims reporting is critical to the process of bringing claims to a successful resolution. If a member receives a formal notice or statement of claim, the notice must be reported in writing to the insurer within 30 days.

Should a member seek independent legal services for a potential claim, any fees associated with such services may not be recuperated under the policy limits unless notice has been provided to the insurer before such legal representation begins.

In the event of a potential claim or if a member is formally served with a statement of claim, members should follow the guidelines below:

  • Immediately report any potential claim to their broker
  • Formally document the incident, including details of those involved
  • Submit any formal statement of claim to their broker
  • Report any regulatory investigations or notice of complaint within 30 days

Members should not:

  • Speak with any third parties about the claim, in writing or orally
  • Assume any legal fees before reporting a claim
  • Offer compensation to independently settle a claim
  • Amend or change any previous clinical records once a statement of claim has been received

Contact Us

We’re always here to answer your questions. When you contact us, you’ll receive quick, reliable service backed by our expert association insurance advisors who will work with you to address any concerns.


[email protected]