Things you didn't know that are covered by home insurance

3 minute read Published on Feb 25, 2021 by BrokerLink Communications

Things you didn't know that are covered by home insurance

For most of us, our home is the biggest purchase we’ll make. For such a monumental investment, it’s crucial you have the right home insurance to protect your asset. But, what does your home insurance cover that you may not have even thought of? Let us tell you!

Fallen Trees

If your neighbour’s tree falls onto your property and damages your car parked in the driveway, your home insurance may cover it if theirs doesn’t. Your car insurance may also cover this type of damage if you have comprehensive coverage. Buying one insurance policy that includes home and auto coverage will ultimately save you money. To find out if your home insurance policy covers your car parked on your property, contact a BrokerLink insurance advisor.


No one ever considers the rare occurrence of an airplane or helicopter falling from the sky and landing on their home, but it could happen! While rare, you never know what could happen in this crazy world. If an aircraft crashes into your home, you’re covered for housing and food while you find a new home, or stay elsewhere while your home is being restored. Breathe a sigh of relief, as your home is covered if an aircraft falls from the sky onto your home. In fact, you may be able to rebuild your home from the foundation up if this ever happens to you.

Space Debris

You may think space debris falling from the sky only happens in the movies, but there have been occurrences of this across the world. If a meteor, asteroid, rocket, aircraft or satellite, as well as any other falling objects, cause damage to your home, it may be insured under your homeowners insurance policies. Coverage is available, even if the fallen object is a branch from your neighbour’s tree, so contact a BrokerLink insurance advisor to find out what your home insurance policy covers.

Volcano Eruptions

Although many of us don’t live near a volcano, you don’t have to live close to one to feel its affects. The Yellow Stone National Park super volcano could affect Albertans, although it is in a different country. If a volcano erupts and causes damage to your home, you may be covered. Make sure you check with your insurance advisor to see if you are protected in this rare instance.

Get home insurance

Do you think you may need comprehensive homeowner insurance? Contact us at any of our country-wide locations. Whether you need protection for your home, condo, mobile home or mortgage, we can make sure you have the insurance you need.

Things you didn't know that are covered by home insurance FAQs

What happens if a company cancels my policy or doesn't renew it?

There are several reasons a company may cancel your policy such as, too many claims, your home is in disrepair or requires a large amount of renovations or failure to pay your policy. If this has happened to you, it’s important to be proactive and contact your insurance advisor right away to try to rectify the situation. If you have been a customer of the insurance company for a while, mention this, as loyalty may play a factor. Also, ask your insurance advisor if you could pay a higher rate in order to keep your insurance.

What should I do if I can't find a company willing to insure me?

Don’t give up. If you work with a BrokerLink insurance advisor, we can help get you quotes from several insurers. Insurance companies evaluate applications differently, so one may insure you, while another may not. We can help simplify this process for you, and you can rest easy knowing you will get the right coverage at the best price possible.

What should I do if I need help negotiating my claim?

You’re in luck! When you work with a BrokerLink insurance advisor, we’re in your corner. We are licensed insurance experts who know the ins and outs of the insurance business. If you need help with your insurance claim, reach out to your advisor.