Fire safety for your living room

1 minute read Published on Oct 7, 2014 by BrokerLink Communications

The living room is a great area for your family and friends to gather. It’s often the place for all things entertainment as well as a place you can sit back and relax. Since there can be so much activity in this area, it’s important to be aware of potential fire hazards that can disrupt your leisure time.


It’s important to ensure power bars are not overloading electrical outlets when plugging in electronics. If you’re using extension cords, be aware someone could trip over a cord and short a circuit causing a fire or damaging an appliance. Take the time to regularly check your electronics and make sure any cords are in good condition.


Careless smoking is one of the leading cause of home fire deaths according to Fire Prevention Canada. If someone is smoking indoors, make sure cigarettes are never left unattended even in an ashtray. When finished with a cigarette you should always extinguish it in water to make sure it’s fully out before disposing of it. The same practice should be followed when smoking outside – never discard your cigarette on the lawn where it can easily ignite grass or other plants around it.


A wood-burning fireplace is great on a cold day, but there are some safety tips you should follow. This is especially important because burning wood releases carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide gas is colourless, odourless and tasteless and can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning. Make sure your living room has adequate ventilation and install a carbon monoxide detector in close proximity to your fireplace. Learn more tips about carbon monoxide safety.

Regular maintenance of your fireplace is required; have the chimney cleaned and serviced by a professional. Be sure to keep the area around your fireplace free from any items that might catch fire or overheat. It’s also a good idea to have a screen protector in front of the fireplace to prevent any sparks landing in your living room. As always with open flames, never leave children unattended by a fire.

In addition to following the tips above, it’s important to have smoke detectors and a fire extinguisher in your house in case of emergencies. Plan your exit ahead of time in case a fire does occur in your home – we have a few tips to get you started.

There’s nothing better than enjoying time in your ‘home sweet home’. Make sure you have coverage for your home and the items you care about. Contact your BrokerLink broker to discuss protection for your home.