How Storage Unit Insurance Works
If you are putting your belongings in storage for a short amount of time (thirty days or less) your home or tenant insurance may extend to cover what’s in your storage unit. Talk to your insurance broker to determine if the contents of your storage unit are covered by your home or tenant insurance.
If you don’t have home insurance, you can purchase a stand alone storage unit policy. You might want to consider this if you are travelling or plan on storing your things for an extended period of time.
Storage Unit Insurance Coverage
Storage unit insurance can cover your belongings if they are damaged by things like:
- Weather damage
Exclusions of Storage Unit Insurance
There might be certain things that aren’t covered by storage insurance such as:
- Water damage or flooding
- Pest damage
Pros and Cons of Storage Unit Insurance
|Pros of Storage Unit Insurance
||Cons of Storage Unit Insurance
- Don’t have to rely on friends or family to watch your belongings
- Peace of mind knowing your things are protected
- Long-term outdoor exposure to elements in storage unit can be a risk
- It can be expensive
How to protect things in your storage unit
Here are some things you can do to protect your belongings while they’re in storage:
- Wrap your things in blankets, old sheets or drop cloths
- Wrap furniture in protection that doesn’t trap moisture
- Carefully protect glass items by wrapping them
- Make sure there is no food or perishable items in your storage unit
- Raise things off the floor slightly
- Don’t cram too much stuff into the unit
Tips on How to Select Storage Unit Insurance
- Look into your current homeowners or renters insurance policy to see if you already have some coverage.
- Ask your storage company for insurance provider recommendations.
- Research different coverage options. Research the companies to make sure they are reputable.
Should I Get Storage Unit Insurance?
Insurance is there to protect you from the things you don’t expect. If you want peace of mind knowing the things you care about are protected, you should consider investing in storage unit insurance.
At BrokerLink, our Insurance Advisors are experienced insurance professionals. We can help you get the insurance coverage you need at a price that’s fair. Contact us today with any questions you have about storage unit insurance.
Storage Unit Insurance FAQs
Does renters insurance cover rat damage in storage units?
Damage caused by rats and other vermin is often excluded from insurance coverage. Talk to your broker to find out exactly what coverage you have.
Is storage unit insurance mandatory?
That depends on the storage unit company. Storage unit insurance is not required by law. However, the company you are renting from may require you to purchase insurance.
Are storage facilities liable for theft?
The company is responsible for keeping the premises safe and secure. However, generally speaking, storage facilities are not responsible for theft or damage of your stuff.