Personal Insurance Claims Process

Gather and collect all details

Be sure to collect all details from an accident, including when, where, other drivers’ information, witnesses etc. Be sure to obtain a copy of the witness statement and police report. Keep all supporting documentation and insurance information, including pictures. For property claims, collect all details and compile a list of damaged, destroyed, or stolen items. Be sure to take photos of damaged items, attach proof of purchase, receipts, police report, owners manual and warranties of items.

Report the claim

Report the claim to your insurance provider as soon as possible or at least within one business day. Provide the details of the collision or property damage. Be sure to speak with your BrokerLink broker. We can confirm your coverage, explain the claims process and answer any questions you may have. Your broker can also act as your advocate throughout the claims process, contacting the insurance company on your behalf and ensuring things go smoothly.

Confirm loss details

Once the loss has been reported, your insurance company will assign you a claims adjuster. This person will get in touch to confirm the details of your loss, as well as collecting other information related to the claim.

For vehicle claims, you'll need to provide the following information:

  • When and where the accident or damage occurred
  • Details on other vehicles and/or damaged involved, and description of damage to both your vehicle or other property
  • Information about passengers and witnesses, as well as any injury information
  • Police information, if applicable
  • Your insurance provider will determine fault for the collision and advise of next steps regarding repair and replacement

If you’re making a property claim, the following details will be required:

  • How the loss occurred, and the severity of the damage
  • When the loss occurred (date and time)
  • What steps you have taken so far to prevent further loss or repair damage Information regarding police or fire department involvement
  • You may be asked to make a sworn statement regarding the loss
  • Your adjuster will advise which forms need to be completed, as well as important timelines

Assess the damage

You are free to arrange for a third party assessment of your loss, or your adjuster can recommend an appraisal service. For vehicle repairs, you may be sent to a repair shop and you should receive a copy of the assessment once completed. A copy must be sent to the claims adjuster for review. For property, a proof of loss must be completed within 30 days including a list of items damaged or lost.

Arrange for repair

Once your claims adjuster has approved the cost of repair, you will be advised of and wrench the options for repairs, including preferred suppliers by the insurer or whether you can use a mechanic or contractor of your choice. At this point, you will also be responsible for paying any deductible applicable to your claim.

Your adjuster will provide any additional services if included in your coverage, such as a rental car while your vehicle is being repaired or additional living expenses if your home is unfit to live in.

If your claim involves personal property, there are different options available for settling your claim. You may choose to receive an actual cash value payment up front to cover the cost of replacing the lost or damaged items. Your insurance company may also be able to set up direct billing with the vender to purchase replacement goods.

Personal injuries

If your claim involves injuries, you will be assigned an adjuster who specializes in these claims. This adjuster will detail any medical benefits available and provide any required forms. If other parties were injured, the insurance company needs your cooperation in their investigation to ensure a swift and fair resolution.

Close the claim

Once the repairs have been made, your insurance company will pay any invoices on your behalf (except the deductible, which you should have already paid directly to the mechanic or contractor). As well, depending on the type of loss and value of the claim, you may need to complete a Proof of Loss form. Keep in mind you have two years from the date of loss to finalize your claim.

If you’ve experienced damage to your property and/or vehicle and have further questions regarding your insurance policy, please contact your BrokerLink broker.